Sunday, November 28, 2010

Give Me Respect

I've been working at Subway for three and a half years now, and I can say almost nothing has changed. Our customers are still the most rude, ignorant people you will ever meet. I'm not saying that our customers are the worst of all, I'm talking about food/customer service in general. When you're helping people, a majority of the time, they don't even treat you like a human being. They're there to get their food and leave. People skills have become a thing of the past. Customers won't look me in the eye when they order. They don't respond to my greetings, nor do they give me one. They won't tolerate simple mistakes. They lack common sense. Tips are a rarity. If people that came in treated everybody like they treat me, they would have no one that would ever want to speak to them. And by the looks of the people that come into Subway, that fact seems like it's true. Even when I'm in a bad mood (a lot of the time), I still act nicely to my customers, partially not to lose my job, and partially to hopefully up the mood and not stay down in the catacombs. When I come out from the back and nicely greet somebody and they completely ignore, or even interrupt my hello, it ruins the vibe for the remainder of my customer's order. I am a human being. As are all of my coworkers, and all of America's workers. People should treat us that way. Those who take part in our abuse are cowards. They know that we can't retaliate because we'd lose our job. They take advantage of that by treating us like shit to take out their frustrations and mask their own problems. The people that come in and smile, have a conversation with me, laugh at and make jokes, those are people that are confident with themselves. This actually comes into conflict with my previous blog about how i hate fat and unkempt people. If a fat guy comes in and gets a footlong tuna sub with extra cheese, it bothers me. But, if he talks to me and keeps a positive attitude and comes across as a good person, I will return the favor. All that matters is that they have a good personality, I'm not as shallow as I come across sometimes. Because equally, if a good looking, successful-looking person comes in and orders a healthy six-inch veggie sub, but acts like a total douchebag, then I'll treat them how they deserve to be treated. There's no reason to treat me like any less of a human just because I'm behind a bar making your food. If it makes you feel better to treat me like shit because I can't do anything back, that's fine. If I were to see a dick customer at the mall, even if they recognized me as the Subway employee that made their food, they won't even look at me. I don't want to be treated like a king or pampered, just to be treated like a human being. All I ask is that you give me respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment